PORTSMOUTH COACH STATION AT THE HARD INTERCHANGE
The transport hub at Portsmouth Harbour, is known as The Hard Interchange, the name derived from the surrounding area The Hard.
The Hard being an area of foreshore that is sufficiently firm, naturally or man made, to give easy access to the boats moored along it.
The Hard Interchange is right on the edge of Portsmouth Harbour and is the hub for many public transport systems, coach, rail, buses and ferries, it is just a short walk to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Gunwharf Quays.
The new bus interchange was developed by architects AHR and is part of a larger £1.8 billion investment planned over the next 20 years by Portsmouth City Council. The development has 10 bus stands, a taxi rank and a separate pedestrian drop off area.
The concourse has interactive journey planning screens, travel information screens, ticket purchase facilities, passenger seating areas and other services, all housed in the sleek modern aerofoil type structure. The private coach pick up and drop off area is now located just around the corner in Queen Street, a few hundred metres past the Historic Dockyard entrance.
PORTSMOUTH COACH SERVICES
The following services run from The Hard, coach services, rail services from Portsmouth Harbour Station, the Gosport Ferry, local and intercity bus services and the Wightlink passenger ferry to the Isle of Wight from Portsmouth Harbour Station.
National Express runs services from The Hard to various locations nationwide including,
- London (Victoria)
- Nationwide with connections
Megabus operates various services from The Hard to destinations such as London and the Midlands.
BOOK - Megabus tickets online here:
PORTSMOUTH BUS SERVICES
Various local and intercity bus services operate from the Hard, these are operated by,
- First Bus - download a First Bus Journey Planner here.
- Stagecoach South - download a Stagecoach Journey Planner here.
- For bus timetable enquiries Traveline 0871 200 22 33
PORTSMOUTH RAIL SERVICES
- Portsmouth Harbour Railway Station is located here at The Hard Interchange.
- Address: Portsmouth Harbour Station, The Hard, Portsmouth, PO1 3EB
- South West Trains Customer Service Centre on 0845 6000 650
- For more rail information visit our Rail Services page.
- Gosport Ferry 02392 524551
- For Isle of Wight travel visit our Isle of Wight Ferries page.
- For Cross Channel Ferry information visit our Portsmouth Ferry Port page.
This site has no association with any of the transport operators or organisations shown. Any information shown will require further confirmation before it is used for travel.