PORT SOLENT SHOPPING
The shops and restaurants of Port Solent are located around
the marina facility, providing great views of the boats and all of the marina activity.
There is also a multiplex cinema at Port Solent, The Odeon, which has 6 screens with digital sound system.
Port Solent was developed on reclaimed land at the top of Portsmouth Harbour with the marina being opened in April 1988, the first boat to enter the new marina was Lively Lady sailed by Sir Alex Rose the round the world sailor, see entry at the bottom of the page.
The marina has 452 berths and one of the largest locks in Europe measuring 42m long and 12.5m wide providing 24 hour access to the tidal waters of Portsmouth harbour, with it's direct access into The Solent.
To the northern side of the marina is a housing development of some 414 houses, approximately 205 of these have private mooring, as well as the Oyster Quay
apartment development. Oyster Quay is home to 167 luxury apartments in a six / seven story building overlooking the eastern edge of the marina and
includes a leisure centre, spa and gym.
The shops and restaurants at Port Solent are located on two levels overlooking the eastern and southern side of the marina providing great views of the boats and all of the marina activities. There are approximately 73,078 sq.ft of retail premises around the boardwalk, the majority of which are restaurants, bars and retail shops.
The Boardwalk was designed to have a Mediterranean feel and has a covered walkway which allows easy access to stroll around the centre whatever the weather. There are thirteen bars and restaurants around The Boardwalk as well as boutiques, shoe shops, specialist cookware, books and gifts and an art gallery and shop.
In addition to The Boardwalk there is a further area adjacent to the main car park, where Snow and Rock have a large store boasting one of the largest ranges of ski, snowboard and outdoor products in Europe. Located next door is the David Lloyd health and fitness centre with an indoor swimming pool, squash courts, gym, spa, and members club and dining facilities.
At the western end of Port Solent the marine based businesses are based, a fully serviced boat yard, marine engineers and repair facilities, boat sales and a chandlery.
PORT SOLENT SHOPS AND BUSINESSES:
- ABOVE THE BLUE - specialising in original paintings, sculpture, ceramics and cards, unique gifts for any room in the house or office.
- BOOKENDS - Books and greetings cards.
- COTTON TRADERS - Clothing and footwear.
- DAVID LLOYD HEALTH CLUB - Tel: 02392 222700
- LA CUISINE - Coffee shop and kitchen equipment.
- MARINE SUPER STORE - marine clothing and chandlery.
- ODEON CINEMA PORT SOLENT - Filmline: 08712 244007
- PAVERS SHOES ~ Discounted top branded footwear.
- PORT SOLENT RESTAURANTS - full Port Solent restaurant listing, opens on separate page.
- PORT SOLENT YACHT CLUB (PSYC)
- SAKS - Hair and beauty (at the David Lloyd health club)
- SNOW & ROCK - Extreme sports, outdoor clothing and equipment.
PORT SOLENT - ESSENTIAL INFORMATION:
- Port Solent address: Port Solent, Portway, Cosham, Hants, PO6 4TP
- Port Solent telephone: 02392 210606 (management team)
- Port Solent car parking: large free car park
- WiFi: free wifi - log on to portsolent2
- Marina: 800 berth Premier Marina
Alec Rose's sailing ship the Lively Lady, the first ship to enter Port Solent marina in 1988, is based here.
Alec singlehandedly circumnavigated the globe in Lively Lady, starting in May 1967 and returning to Portsmouth on 3rd July 1968 just before
his 60th birthday.
He made only 2 stops on his voyage, at Williamstown near Melbourne, Australia to visit one of his sons and an unplanned stop at Bluff Harbour, New Zealand, to repair a mast. When he returned to Portsmouth hundreds of ships greeted him in the Solent, he later received a knighthood and the Freedom of the City of Portsmouth.